The Transgenic Genotyping Service (TGS) has a Genotyping Technician position available working in the Genotyping Lab in Bar Harbor!
Depending on departmental needs, this position may have the dual responsibility of performing support tasks including DNA extraction and Gel room activities, as well as performing routine genotyping including the use of robotic and manual processes for PCR setup and analysis and the scoring of data. Genotyping Technicians will also be trained to receive and process outside samples in a BS hood and will troubleshoot, track and maintain records on incoming sample issues and notify customers of work completion.
This position may include some occasional weekend work, but standard work is performed Monday - Friday.
* Two year associate, vocational or technical degree, completion of an apprenticeship program or equivalent work experience in the field of biological sciences.
* One year experience in knowledge of DNA extraction, PCR processes, agarose gels desirable
* Knowledge of college level Mendelian genetics that can be obtained through a genetics course at an accredited college or university or through successful completion of the Jackson Laboratory genetics course, \"Beyond Basic Genetics\". Other means of acquiring this knowledge will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis
* Strong written and oral communication skills sufficient to permit clear and effective exchange of information with people representing a wide diversity of disciplines and levels within the organization
* Proficient in working with computer software and databases such as Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, etc
* Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment while consistently maintaining a positive and professional demeanor
Please submit Cover Letter and Resume to consider application complete.
The Jackson Laboratory (www.jax.org) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution with more than 2,200 employees. With a mammalian genetics institute as its headquarters campus in Bar Harbor, Maine, it has a genomic medicine institute in Farmington, Conn., JAX? Mice and Clinical Research Services facilities in Sacramento, Calif. and Ellsworth, Maine. The Laboratory's mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health.
The Laboratory is the world's source for more than 11,000 strains of genetically defined mice, is home of the Mouse Genome Informatics and Mouse Phenome databases, and is a hub for scientific courses, conferences, training and education.The Jackson Laboratory's 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views, and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums, and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven, and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients' lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging, and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 \"Best Places to Work in Academia\" in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries, and a comprehensive benefits package, including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off, and tuition reimbursement including an MBA program. Our campus offers a fitness center with an award-winning wellness program, an onsite full service cafeteria, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX's mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Learn more about career opportunities at JAX:
Associated topics: laboratory, medical, medical technologist, pathology, sample collection, scientist, services, sterile processing technician, technician, technician iv
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.